Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Day 2

Day 2 in a word...Amazing

What at amazing experience we had today at the Home for Sick and Dying Babies. I have to say I was a little nervous to go there and wasn't sure what to expect. The name makes it sound very daunting. As we arrived they quickly ushered us in and showed us to the different rooms of children we would be caring for. Surprisingly, there wasn't much instruction. We were able to pick up and hold pretty much any of the babies. Some were definitely sicker than others and it showed. Looking in to their little faces, my heart was both broken and full at the same time. They held their little arms out and just wanted to be held by total strangers. Anyone to comfort them is welcome :)

There were diapers to change and lunch to feed them and I felt honored to be a part of it. They needed me and I was 100% there for them. I actually wish I could have stayed longer. I also wish I had more arms to hold more kids at once! 2 was my limit. While we were there, several of the children had parents visiting them during what must have been "visiting hours". When they left you can imagine all of the sad kids. We were scrambling to comfort as many kiddos as we could.

All in all it was a wonderful experience and I am so honored to have been able to experience it. I think they helped me more than I helped them.

From Haiti with Love!

Tiffany Hugdahl



Dare's Orphanage

We arrived at the orphanage with a treasure box of toys.  We hoped to spend time engaging children with special needs in a meaningful way that would bring glory to God and bring joy to these awesome kiddos.  Mission accomplished!  We danced and made music with new musical instruments, we built towers and castles from new building blocks, we threw balls, and raced cars, we blew bubbles and laughed, we learned each others names and new words, we made friends from strangers, we served with palms up!

Engaging children with special needs can be difficult. At first we all felt a little awkward being thrown in an empty room filled with kids.  But, when we opened the toy box the smiles began curling upon the faces of the little ones. We all participated in activities such as singing, playing percussion instruments,  tying bandanas, stacking legos, rolling cars, and blowing bubbles. We felt blessed to be given the opportunity to make kids laugh and dance and play.

Lori and Gracie Friedrichs

  




No comments:

Post a Comment